Wednesday 9 December 2020

A Little More Done

The Christmas presents are mailed, and the only projects left to be worked on are my own, which should give me a little more time to work on the Wooden Shoe Factory. The inside of the roof of this building is supposed to look like it is thatched, which means adding reeds.



This was the sample I did today; it is a right-angle triangle that will make the roof inside look like a barn roof. The reeding has to be done on the entire length of the roof in the workshop area, so this was an attempt to see if it would work. It did, but I had to adjust the spacing in order to get things to fit into place in a logical fashion. That meant, sigh, taking off the right-hand side of the reeding in order to increase the spacing. The ochre part is the reeded area; the white areas are where beams will be glued into place.


Yes, that was only the reeded roof for the hallway; the long strip is the reeded roof for the workshop proper; I see a great deal of glue being spread upon my fingers, work area, and work apron!


The donor of the "reeds" is this old and used corn whisk; it previously got cut into to make the sleeve fence for the Japanese Garden vignette. Gradually, the corn fibres are being cut out and glued into place onto the wooden block. It will take some time....





 

5 comments:

  1. This looks very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is going to be very tedious, as the entire ceiling of the workshop also needs reeds and beams....Here's hoping one small corn whisk has enough bristles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The test piece for the reeded roof looks very good. I hope that the corn whisk has enough to donate for the entire roof.

    If not, perhaps using planks for the lowest tier may be a solution. I saw that a few times on the inside of old barns with thatched roofs. I do not know why they did that. Perhaps to keep out the draft. But it could perhaps be a solution for the klompenmakerij when there is a shortage of bristles.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Huibrecht, for that suggestion. Right now, I am quite stubborn and intend to try to do the whole roof, but I may give up on that; the amount of glue that is ending up on my fingers is enormous, and because it is tacky glue, it holds everything except what I need it to hold!

      Delete
    2. You're most welcome. Ah yes, glue... terrific when it works with us, terrible when it works against us!

      Delete