Friday 12 April 2019

Remembrance Day Project Update



If you have taken a look at the Charminis site (see side bar), you have seen the work Marilyn has done to age the inside and outside of our project. A little bit of outside aging remained to be done, so the project came back to me. If you look at the photo above, this is the before version of the dugout side.

I felt that after five decades of rain and wind, the sandbags would have become quite dirty, possibly have some algae growing on them, most likely moss as well, and dirt would have collected over the years here and there.



I have a wonderful colour of paint called English Ivy Green; I tend to think of it as "sludge green", and it is a go-to choice when I have to create algae and moss effects. Some was dry-brushed up and down the metal siding of the dugout, some was rubbed here and there on the sand bags, anywhere I felt wind would have deposited soil and seeds and where rain might have pooled to provide moisture or create algal growth.



Dirt made from railroad ballast, glue and paint was glued into crevices, moss was planted here and there where shadow and moisture created a good environment, and bits of grass caught hold in various deep soil pockets. It adds decades. The problem is when to stop; I hope I have quit in good time.  Aside from a beret for our veteran, the vignette is pretty much finished. Marilyn will do the final reveal on her blog, the Charminis site.

4 comments:

  1. The sludge green is made of awesome! Sorry, I'm just a little toooo excited about it. But I really love how it looks. I'm always super impressed with weathering/moss/aging because I find it so hard to do. You make it look easy though. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think about where the wear and dirt would naturally end up. Play with paints, chalks etc. to simulate that wear. E.G. chair rails get their paint stripped, as do chair arms, seats and backs. The rest ages much less rapidly. One learns by doing (and observing!). Glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all looking so wonderfully realistic Marijke! Each photo you and Marilyn share looks better than the last!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are all very pleased with the project. It will be exhibited at the upcoming Miniature and Doll Show, and I am looking forward to peoples' comments there. Now on to the next project - I'm going to try building a tree for the Japanese vignette. Should be a challenge!

    ReplyDelete