Wednesday 5 February 2020

Messing About with Prototypes

In about 3 months, it should be another miniature show and sale; I'm awaiting the forms any day now. So, I decided I should perhaps try my hand at a few new items. As my sales public is limited (there are very few people in this province), new ideas are always needed. Since I never know if what I decide to make will actually sell, I try to make things I could use in case they hang around forever.

Today, at our mostly weekly mini get-together, I worked on some lightweight prototypes for this year; some are original, some are from old, out-of-print books; whatever I make, I will add my own touches to the finished product.



Four of the pieces are from The Colonial Dollhouse, by Phyllis Gift Jefferson, published in 1977. If you can get hold of a copy of this, it is just chock-full of wonderful ideas in a very wide variety of media and aimed at a wide range of skill levels. I am attempting to make some tinware and wooden ware from file folder cardboard, with faux finishing to suggest metal and wood. These are the lightweight (recipe card from the $ store!) first attempts. The wall hanging box I hope to make to represent old enamel ware.

From left to right, back row: enamel wall salt/sand/soda container, wooden firkin, wooden bucket and front row, wind-proof candle holder and one of several varieties of wall sconces. I will have to find some heavy-duty foil for the sconce, as it really needs to have frilly edges on the back. (I cut them in scallops to give the idea.)

Another storm is forecast for tomorrow; if it happens, I can't get to my volunteer job safely so I hope to work up some real versions of some of these items. Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

  1. I hope these all work out well! If the aluminum foil doesn't work out, have you considered metallic paint? It could look like smoke darkened metal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a fun and interesting endeavor and I can't wait to see your results!

    ReplyDelete